Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) Engineer Degree Apprenticeship - Washington
North East • £12,657 pa • Apprenticeship
Key Selling Bullet Point 1
- Spend time building your practical and theoretical knowledge of x-rays, ultrasonics, eddy currents, magnetic particle inspection and fluorescent penetrant inspection undertaking training courses in these five main NDT methods at a new state-of-the-art tra
- Gain manufacturing and laboratory experience of these methods along with quality assessment techniques, providing a mix of both practical and theoretical experience.
About usOur high-performance, integrated power solutions are at the cutting edge of technology. From powering huge commercial vessels to nuclear submarines, supersonic fighter jets to highly efficient passenger planes, or rail locomotives to luxury yachts, we go above and beyond to create better.
And it's all thanks to our people. Whether they work in engineering or finance, manufacturing or project management, our 50,000-strong team work together to deliver excellence in the air, on land and at sea, to customers in 150 nations around the world.
Why work for usJoining us as an intern or graduate means you could be working on awe-inspiring innovative projects, driving business-critical initiatives and learning from world-class professionals.
Wherever you choose to hone your knowledge and develop expertise, you’ll be part of a company with a future every bit as exciting as its history.
Job DescriptionYour apprenticeship will give you exposure across our business as you learn how to use NDT to find surface and internal defects in a variety of materials.
What you'll do
You'll be trained to lead your own technical projects and to work with expert mentors to develop the skills you need to thrive. Your role will see you selecting the optimal NDT method and conducting tests on parts, so be ready for practical experiments, project planning, resource control, problem solving and gaining technical know-how. You'll also learn how we use NDT in research and development, and have the opportunity to learn about state-of-the-art technologies that enable us to find smaller-sized defects, increase our throughput and reduce our costs.
You'll undertake a variety of different placements across the business to equip you with practical experience in the various NDT methods. You can also expect to spend some time in our offices, solving technical issues and running projects to help our internal customers. Throughout, you'll study for the BEng (Hons) NDT Degree at Northampton University getting to grips with the Maths, Electronics and Physics behind these methods. This is a new degree, designed by Rolls-Royce and the British Institute of NDT. Some modules will be delivered residentially at Northampton University; other modules will be delivered via distance learning.
The Successful ApplicantAt least two A-Levels in Maths and either Physics, Engineering, Chemistry, or any other equivalent Engineering related technical qualification at grade C or above.
You'll also need at least five GCSE/Standard grades at grade A-B (4) which must include Maths, English Language and Science.
It's important that you're team-orientated too, as you'll spend time with your fellow apprentices embarking on outdoor learning courses and team-building initiatives.
What's on Offer• A competitive salary starting from £12,657 a year which will increase as you train
• A competitive pension, and 33 days' holiday per year (inclusive of Bank Holidays)
• Career support from day one
• A Level 6 degree apprenticeship
• Internationally-recognised NDT qualifications to NDT Level III
• You will be able to apply for Incorporated Engineer (IEng) status with the British Institute of NDT
• Skills training in team work, management and technical behaviours through our Outward Bound and STEM activities
Closing date: 2nd March 2018